Sponsor:

Server and Web Integrator
Link:
Kloxo-MR logo
6.5.0 or 7.0.0
Click for "How to install"
Donation/Sponsorship:
Kloxo-MR is open-source.
Donate and or Sponsorship always welcome.
Click to:
Click Here
Please login or register. 2024-04-29, 15:15:20

Author Topic: DNS slave server  (Read 4539 times)

Offline fossxplorer

• Master
    • View Profile
DNS slave server
« on: 2014-09-16, 20:44:37 »
Hi,
after having the server's DNS down for 8 hours today, i'm gonna install a slave server.
Is there any howto on setting up a slave for DNS purposes?
Can the slave be used for other purpose than DNS as well?

Will a slave work with just 1 IP for the name server?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: 2014-09-16, 22:45:54 by fossxplorer (formerly 'Mella') »
Kloxo-MR!

Offline chrisf

• Senior Master
  • Be the change that you wish to see in the world.
    • View Profile
    • Conviction's Hosting
Re: DNS slave server
« Reply #1 on: 2014-09-18, 06:31:15 »
Please do not confuse KloxoMR master and slave to dns master and slave.  Even on a kloxo/kloxoMR slave the dns is a master zone.  To my knowledge there is no way to do it 'automatically' through kloxo/kloxoMR.

You can setup bind chrooted on a VM.  Then using a cron and bash script to copy the /opt/configs/bind/ directory to a web accessable location.  Use a cron on the 'slave' to fetch the bind configuration files, replace the files there and restart bind (named).  Therefore creating a complete mirror of your original dns setup.  Nameservers and IPs will need to be set correctly obviously, but something like that shouldn't be too hard to accomplish.  You could essentially do this for multiple servers as a slave/secondary dns by simply adding the domain config files to the 'slave' dns servers corresponding directory.

Never done it, but seems practical.  ;)
Christopher

Knowledge in: PHP, Perl, MySQL, Javascript, Actionscript, FLASH, HTML, CSS
Server Administrator / Developer: https://convictionshosting.com

Offline fossxplorer

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2014-09-18, 22:08:06 »
Hi Chrisf,
yes, i'm talking about Kloxo-MR's master/slave functionality.  Thanks for your suggestions.
My question now is, when you have 2 Kloxo-MR instances, one as master and the other as slave, will the DNS records of customers from the master be auto synced to the slave? Are you saying this won't happen automatically and must be done with cron?
If so, what's the point of master/slave functionality?

Please do not confuse KloxoMR master and slave to dns master and slave.  Even on a kloxo/kloxoMR slave the dns is a master zone.  To my knowledge there is no way to do it 'automatically' through kloxo/kloxoMR.

You can setup bind chrooted on a VM.  Then using a cron and bash script to copy the /opt/configs/bind/ directory to a web accessable location.  Use a cron on the 'slave' to fetch the bind configuration files, replace the files there and restart bind (named).  Therefore creating a complete mirror of your original dns setup.  Nameservers and IPs will need to be set correctly obviously, but something like that shouldn't be too hard to accomplish.  You could essentially do this for multiple servers as a slave/secondary dns by simply adding the domain config files to the 'slave' dns servers corresponding directory.

Never done it, but seems practical.  ;)
Kloxo-MR!

Offline quenode

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2014-10-30, 14:14:15 »
I am wondering this too ?

Have same problem using 7.0.0b and powerdns

Top 4 Global Search Engines:    Google    Bing    Baidu    Yahoo

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 18 queries.

web stats analysis