Sponsor:

Server and Web Integrator
Link:
Kloxo-MR logo
6.5.0 or 7.0.0
Click for "How to install"
Donation/Sponsorship:
Kloxo-MR is open-source.
Donate and or Sponsorship always welcome.
Click to:
Click Here
Please login or register. 2024-03-28, 17:37:48

Author Topic: The future of Kloxo-MR  (Read 44989 times)

Offline luckytanuki

• View Profile
    • Kloxo Next Generation
The future of Kloxo-MR
« on: 2017-10-18, 01:02:43 »
As some people have already noticed, Mustafa has been missing for a month and the Hostspectra website is unreachable.

We need to make sure that Mustafa's disappearance will not result in the death of Kloxo-MR .

I've made a Facebook Group in case the forum goes offline 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/KloxoMRusers

I suggest joining the group as a point of contact if the forum dies. This will be a place to discuss the future of Kloxo-MR and provide user driven support.

I'm making a rip of the forum and will put up a link when I finish ripping.

I'd suggest anyone who wishes to keep using Kloxo-MR make a fork from Github and download a copy of the rpm repo (http://rpms.mratwork.com/repo/mratwork/) while you can.

I'm not actually interested in hijacking the project as I have health issues of my own. However my business uses Kloxo-MR and I would prefer not to have to change control panels.

If we can steer the project into something a bit more community driven then we may be able to ensure the survival of the project.

Offline luckytanuki

• View Profile
    • Kloxo Next Generation
Re: The future of Kloxo-MR
« Reply #1 on: 2017-10-18, 23:42:39 »
From the Facebook group.

So what needs doing..?

I'm thinking there are 3 parts to this.

Firstly, making sure the current Kloxo-mr can still be installed or updated. If the rpm repository goes offline we'll need an alternative repository.

Secondly, need a process for fixing bugs and updating software packages.

Finally, we need a development pathway/roadmap to determine the future direction on the project.

I'm still thinking about these and will run a test install to see what is still working.

I am a php, sql and javascript programmer with server admin skills. This means I have the skills to work on the software. However I also have a chronic illness so will need help. I don't think this can be a one person project .

Offline luckytanuki

• View Profile
    • Kloxo Next Generation
« Reply #2 on: 2017-10-19, 04:46:08 »
Ok here is my plan.

If Mustafa doesn't return any time soon or the last of the repositories go offline, I can set up a temporary repo on one of my own servers.

To access this you will need an updated copy of the mratwork-release rpm file.

This is not yet ready but will be available from https://github.com/luckytanuki/rpms/blob/master/mratwork/release/neutral/noarch/

I will also put details at https://github.com/luckytanuki/kloxo and https://www.facebook.com/groups/KloxoMRusers/

Anyway hopefully Mustafa returns and I don't need to do any of this.

Offline fossxplorer

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2017-10-19, 13:13:32 »
Yes, i do hope MR returns as well, but i think we should think about creating a community around this project (i've asked about it before, but MR didn't seem interested at all) so many depend on, especially ppl using it in their business. We need a continuity plan even if 1 person is absent.

I'd like to contribute with my many years of sysadmin skills. I also did suggest to MR how future versions of MR should look like with modern techs like Docker/containers, replacing Qmail with Postfix/Exim etc.

We can use github issue tracker to report bugs, besides having a forum to discuss things.

@johnppierce, i don't use FB, but create one account just for the purpose of joining your group.

If the fork becomes permanent, can e.g call it KloxoNG for Kloxo Next Generation or something?  8)

Anyway, anyone interested in open source and projects with open source code MUST read http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596001087.do

Kloxo-MR!

Offline Hugo

• View Profile
    • KimeraLive - Tailored Clouds
« Reply #4 on: 2017-10-19, 18:54:54 »
Hello everyone,

I am also interested in keeping this project alive and even evolving it.

I don't use FB, but we do have a private slack (mattermost), I've created a team 'KloxoMR' where we can gather and discuss the future of KloxoMR

Team invite link: https://team.kimeralive.com:8088/signup_user_complete/?id=1tr4485kqidhfxcybi6eey5u8h

I hope there is enough interest so we can discuss it further.

Cheers!

Offline luckytanuki

• View Profile
    • Kloxo Next Generation
« Reply #5 on: 2017-10-20, 01:45:04 »
Thank Hugo. I have signed up.

I like fossxplorer's suggestion of KloxoNG - I was thinking similar.

I don't like the idea of one person being responsible for the project or holding the project assets. I think some form of shared organisation is required to operate the community, software repositories etc

So I've jumped the gun and registered KloxoNG.com and KloxoNG.org to the "Kloxo Next Generation Community".

Also I've looked into possible structures and I think a Co-operative Incorporated Association of users and developers would be ideal.

The association would own all assets (websites, domain names etc) and pay infrastructure costs (server and VM hire etc) . It will also fund raise through membership fees,  donations and sponsorship.

The ownership of any code would be as per the existing AGPLv3 License.

To set this up I will require 5 starting members (including myself).

Members can be individuals or representatives of companies.

For starting members I'm thinking $1 (AUD) per individual membership and $10 per company membership.  This is just to get things started. The price will increase when I work out the actual costs of running the project.

To start we need
1. 4 other members
2. a short online meeting to agree to establish the association
3. all members to sign a form, scan it and send it back to me
4. me to submit paper work and register Kloxo Next Generation Community as a legal entity.

So anyone interested?

Note: edited to change organisation to an Incorporated association as easier to set up than a co-operative. Can become a co-op or company later if it grows.

« Last Edit: 2017-10-20, 02:28:25 by johnppierce »

Offline Hugo

• View Profile
    • KimeraLive - Tailored Clouds
« Reply #6 on: 2017-10-20, 02:33:30 »
Thanks John,

I agree essentially with all you are proposing, hope we can talk soon.

Offline aamirrajpoot

• Valuable Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2017-10-20, 07:30:28 »
I want to be part of it, but I have never done any server programming. I have been running couple of servers where I have installed KloxoMR, These are mostly for my own needs. I do run a small website development company, but I am not sure how much time this would require. I am right now in "Chicken and Egg" problem, and burning midnight oil for it.

I can contribute on front end side, that is my speciality. Ember, Angular, Normal HTML, PHP and Database Programming, Designing I can do or get done here in my office. If this is something you need, consider me in.

Offline idove

• Valuable Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2017-10-20, 12:36:46 »
Watching thread!

Offline fossxplorer

• Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2017-10-21, 18:43:08 »
Folks, i've just created the IRC channel ##kloxoNG on Freenode is now alive  Hope as many as possible can join the channel.
Kloxo-MR!

Offline Spacedust

• Super Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2017-10-22, 11:23:46 »
Mustafa is alive:

"Last Active: Today at 07:56:57"

Maybe he is just in hospital or somewhere and cannot reply, but he reads what is written here.

Offline hostrator

• Valuable Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2017-10-23, 10:50:54 »

Offline luckytanuki

• View Profile
    • Kloxo Next Generation
« Reply #13 on: 2017-10-23, 11:49:15 »
https://hostspectra.com/ up again.. :)

The http://rpms.printographic.com/repo/ is back up also.

Would be helpful if Mustafa (or whoever is doing this) would give a "hello" so we knew what is going on.

Offline EndErr

• Valuable Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 2017-10-26, 08:59:17 »
Mustafa is alive:

"Last Active: Today at 07:56:57"

Maybe he is just in hospital or somewhere and cannot reply, but he reads what is written here.

Maybe he just needs a rest

MRatWork Affiliates:    BIGRAF(R) Inc.    House of LMAR    EFARgrafix

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 21 queries.

web stats analysis